24 April 2023
St Catherine’s New Hospice
Transforming end of life care in West Sussex and East Surrey
Image: New 24-bed Hospice at Pease Pottage
This Autumn, St.Catherine’s are planning to move to a new site with a 24-bed hospice at Pease Pottage replacing their current 12-bed site, increasing their capability to care for those in critical need in the local community. Expertly designed, with more beds and more space for community outreach care, the state-of-the-art new hospice will provide expert support for local people facing death and loss, for generations to come. They are determined to furnish and equip the new hospice to the highest standards, so every patient and their loved ones, receive the best possible experience from the moment they open their doors in November. This build and everything in it is being completely funded by voluntary donations.
At Blue Helix we’ve decided that all our charitable efforts will now go towards helping St.Catherine’s complete the opening of the new hospice and specifically in funding the kitting out of a Family Lounge costing £11,260. In order to meet the autumn deadline we are busy raising funds – opening a staff tuck shop, staff charity dinners, staff darts tournament, a sponsored walk & corporate golf days at Mannings Heath.
“You matter because you are you, and you matter to the end of your life. We will do all we can not only to help you die peacefully, but also to live until you die.”– Dame Cicely Saunders, Founder of the Hospice Movement
Kitting out a Family Lounge will cost £11,260. Some of the benefits of the new lounge layout include:
- A shared space on each of the two wards for friends and families to rest and re-charge
- Directly opposite the Nurses Station so visitors can take a break but stay close to clinical staff
- A kitchen area provides facilities for making hot drinks and heating meals and snacks in the microwave
- Direct access to a family garden area
- A comfortable seating area welcomes children facing the loss of a loved one, with TV, beanbag and a PlayStation
Blue Helix are determined to reach our £11,000 goal by the autumn deadline and would be forever grateful for anyone that can help us achieve this.